This week a member of the uDig PSC went looking for an older "referencing" community module. This community module had been idle sitting for a number of years, but had never been added to the project.
What makes the difference between a community module and a contribution?
Well here is what makes a community plug-in:
- the community module was available in version control
- we ask for a page of documentation in the community wiki space we set aside for such things
- anyone could download, build it, and use it
And by anyone, I mean nobody. We got a couple of requests a year, and I am not aware of any of them that were followed up.
Here is what makes this into a contribution:
- an hour for Andrea Antonello to perform a code review, check over the file headers and confirm it works as advertised. Thanks!
- an hour for me to port the documentation into our online help
Documentation harmed in the making of this post:
- Georeferencing Tools
- Georeferencing an Image